Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dreamy Rainy Weekend

This weekend was about as perfect as perfect gets.  I love a rainy, cool weather weekend.  I know there are some people out there who think I'm just crazy - yes, I've seen you with your drinks by the pool when it's 95 degrees -  but I was born in northern MN, and once the thermostat tops 75 or so, I'm hiding inside where it's cooler.  And if it's hot at night, forget it, I can't sleep.  On the other hand, once the night temps drop down into the low 60's, just give me a pile of blankets and I'm off to dreamland.
Saturday was excellent, since beyond being cool, it was also thunderstormy.  I moved my chair over near the window to watch the light show, and worked on my current felting project, a set of "Little Red Riding Hood" dolls.  They're coming along very nicely, and I'm excited about them.  I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that (and as soon as I find my camera, but that's another worry for another day).  Rainy days always give me a surge of creativity that sunny days don't.
While I worked, M sat beside my chair playing with her new favorite toy, a wooden kitchen spoon.  I really enjoy the fact that out of all the plastic, push-button toys she owns (which are on their way out of the house a few at a time), her favorite playthings are the spoon, a doll I made her out of washcloths, and a wool ball.  Her hands and mouth and little fertile mind enjoy the textures and open-endedness of these natural things with their plebian roots.  I am constantly amazed at her joy in waving a spoon in the air, or hugging her doll.  She can do these things for hours, and it makes me wonder how much of that joy I could find in such simple things if only I slowed down my day, and put aside my own plastic toys for awhile.
Maybe it's time I did a bit of housecleaning.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you,

    You daughter sounds a darling.

    The simple natural play toys are the very best,

    cheers from New Zealand,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you, thank you.
    Yes, I'm finding that is true.
    I hope you're enjoying your spring there, so far away.

    ReplyDelete